There are plenty of useful apps out there, but some aren’t worth the space they take up on your Android device. If you find yourself out of storage or just want to streamline your app usage, you should consider deleting some apps from your Android device. While most users find this process to be straightforward, some may be a little confused about how to delete apps on Android. This article will go over the different ways to delete apps from your Android device in simple steps, as well as how to delete pre-installed apps.
How to Delete Apps on Android: Three Different Methods
There are many ways to delete unwanted apps from your Android device. Here are three different methods to delete apps on your device.
Method 1: Delete Apps From Settings
This is the best method to use if you want to delete apps from your phone primarily to free up some space because it lets you see which app is taking up the most space. To free up some space on your Android device, follow the following step-by-step guidelines.
1. On your device, tap on the Settings App (gear icon).
2. Next, scroll down till you see the “Apps” option and tap on it.
3. Scroll through the apps and select the app you want to delete.
4. Next, on the App info page, tap Uninstall.
5. Lastly, a pop-up will appear on your screen asking you if you want to uninstall the app. Tap OK to confirm it.
After the app has been uninstalled, you will be taken back to the app menu where you can repeat the process to remove any other apps consuming space.
Method 2: Delete Apps from the Home Screen or Drawer
On an Android device, uninstalling an app directly from the home screen or app drawer is the easiest method. Take note that older Android device versions are incompatible with this method. Only Android versions 11 and above support this method. To learn how to delete apps from the home screen or app drawer, follow the steps below.
1. From the home screen of your device, locate the app you want to delete.
2. Long-tap the app you want to delete until a pop-up appears on your screen.
3. From the pop-up menu that appears, tap Uninstall.
4. A pop-up window will appear on your screen, asking you if you want to uninstall the app. Tap OK to confirm it.
On some Android devices, you must tap and hold the app while it’s in the app drawer or on the home screen to reveal the uninstall option. Once you do, drag the app to the uninstall section at the top of the screen. When the pop-up window appears, tap OK to confirm the process.
Method 3: Uninstalling Preinstalled Apps
Preinstalled apps are mobile applications that are installed and licensed on new hardware before being purchased. That is to say, for new device users, these are apps that are immediately usable out of the box. These apps include YouTube, Facebook, Gmail, Chrome, etc. Uninstalling these apps is quite different from the ones you downloaded yourself. To uninstall these preinstalled apps, follow the steps below.
1. On your Android device, open the Google Play store.
2. Tap on your account profile icon in the top right corner of your screen.
3. Tap “Manage apps and device.”
4. Tap “Manage” next to Overview.
5. Locate the app you want to delete and check the box next to it.
6. In the top right corner of your screen, tap on the trash can icon.
7. Tap Uninstall from the pop-up menu that appears.
The pre-installed app won’t be completely removed from your device. Meaning, you’ll still see the app on your device, but any update will be uninstalled and cleared up all the storage that the app was using.
How to Delete Apps on Android: FAQ
Q. How Do I Hide Apps in Android?
You can hide apps on your smartphone using a built-in feature if you have an Android phone from a manufacturer like Samsung, Xiaomi, LG, or Huawei. Here’s a guide on how to hide apps on these Android devices. From your home screen, select Settings > Home Screen > scroll down and select Hide apps > find the app you want to hide, tap on it, and then tap Done to confirm. There is still a way to hide apps even if your device doesn’t have a built-in feature for doing so. This is done by going to Settings > Apps > Select the App > Disable.
Q. Why Can’t I Uninstall Apps From My Android Phone?
If the app you’ve selected is pre-installed or a system app, that could be the reason it won’t let you uninstall it. You won’t be able to uninstall these apps if that is the case. You can either force them to stop or disable them and hide them from your list of installed apps.
Q. How Do I Permanently Delete an App From My Android?
To permanently delete an app from your Android device, open your Settings app > scroll down to Apps and tap it > locate the app and tap it > On the App info page, tap Uninstall. A pop-up message will appear. Tap OK to confirm. Alternatively, you can permanently delete an app from the Google Play store. Open Google Play > tap on your account icon > Manage apps and devices > Manage > Select the app you want to delete > tap the trash icon at the top right > tap uninstall to confirm the process.
- How to Clear Cookies on Android
- Facebook Keeps Logging Me Out—Here’s How to Fix It
- How to Clear Cache on iPhone to Fix App Issues